Friday 25 January 2013

Cheery, sun shiny cards for the winter blues...

I hate winter! Especially when it gets to January and we have had snow on the ground since October and it's freezing outside and there doesn't seem to be an end coming anytime soon! :(

So to get myself out of these winter blues, I decided to play with my new Spellbinders hexagon die set and make a bright cheery card!

I bought this die set a few months ago and I have been excited to give it a try! 


I got the idea for this card from page 49 of the Fall 2012 issue of Scrapbook & Cards Today magazine. I love hexagons and this card was so cute! In the magazine they mentioned using a punch (which I would love to get my hands on ! :D) but I just used my new dies! The great thing about the dies is that they range in sizes and you can place them anywhere, where as the punch can only reach so far and your stuck with one size.






So first I cut a card base of 5.5" x 8.5" from white cardstock and folded it in half. I then cut another white cardstock piece that is 4" x 5.25" and cut hexagons out of it. 


I then cut a piece of pattern paper that is slightly smaller then the white cardstock piece. I adhered the pattern piece to my card base and using pop-dots (3-D dimensional foam adhesive) I adhered the white cardstock piece on top of the pattern paper.


I then cut some flowers out of some left over pattern paper and used them on the card an embellishment. My sentiment is stamped onto vellum.



 Now with the leftover hexagon shapes that I had after cutting out the pattern for the previous card, I was able to use them to make another card!




The pattern papers I used in both of these cards are from the Everyday Moments collection by Teresa Collins (one of my most favorites!!) This was one of those lines that you use over and over for so many different projects and you can bare to through away any of the leftover bits because the papers were just to gorgeous!


The butterflies are a stamp by Kaiser Crafts and are stamped onto vellum using Jet Black Stazon Ink. This is a great permanent ink for stamping onto non-porous surfaces like vellum, transparencies, glossy paper, metal, glass and basically any other slippery surfaces. I also like it for stamping onto paper because I always seem to get a nice clear, crisp image.  I also added a bit of metal to this card by stapling in a few places using my super cute Tim Holtz Tiny Attacher and I then drew a border around the front using my fine-tipped Sharpie marker.


So there you have some nice sun shiny cards!
Thanks for stopping in!
~Cayla~

3 comments:

  1. VERRY NICE CAYLA! I LOVE THESE CARDS! LORI

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous, Cayla! I love the way you used the negative and positive parts of the die-cut to make two different cards! So inventive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, I am sorry Ivana! I just saw this comment! Thank you so much! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

The Great Outdoors...

Hi Friends! Just trying out this blogging thing again! :D I wanted to share some layouts I did this past weekend while attending a fu...